MO,14/2/2018, PUTRAJAYA: The fire which occurred at the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) office in Jalan Gasing, Petaling Jaya yesterday, only damaged five per cent of the building’s exterior. Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Minister Tan Sri Noh Omar said the fire happened due to the use of polystyrene foam as a cladding material on part of the building’s structure.

“There were repair works on the external insulation finishes system (waterproofing) leakage using granule bitumen membrane rolls. The waterproofing membrane had to be melted using single burner flame gun to allow the material to stick to the concrete floor. “The ignition that triggered the fire was from the liquefied petroleum gas. The spark landed on the cladding which is made from flammable material, which caused the fire to spread quickly.

“I would like to stress that there is no foul play or sabotage elements in this case. It is classified as an accidental fire,” he told a press conference today. Also present at the press conference was Fire and Rescue Department director-general Datuk Seri Wan Mohd Nor Ibrahim.

Noh advised buildings that use polystrene foam or any flammable materials as a cladding to remove them immediately. Materials that are certified by the Fire and Rescue Department to be used as cladding include clay material for for wall finishing, aluminium composite panels and exterior compact high pressure laminates.


Source link


No Comments

Leave a Comment

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons
%d bloggers like this: