Police: Viral video not linked to Adelina Lisao’s case – Nation


BUKIT MERTAJAM: Penang police have denied claims that a video clip, which has gone viral on social media, is related to the abuse of Indonesian maid Adelina Lisao.

The 2.13-min clip, which has been widely shared, shows an elderly woman repeatedly kicking and stepping on a younger woman’s head.

Another woman is later seen walking out from the house and pouring a pail of water close to the younger woman.

The video also shows the older woman hitting the younger woman with a wooden stick several times.

Central Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Nik Ros Azhan Nik Abdul Hamid said police had studied the viral video and confirmed that it was not filmed at the location where Adelina’s alleged abuse took place.

“We have also confirmed that the women in the video are not the accused in the (Adelina’s) case,” he said when contacted on Saturday.

ACP Nik Ros Azhan said no police report had been lodged over the video so far.

“We have no lead on where the video was filmed,” he said.

S. Ambika, 59, Adelina’s employer, has been charged with murdering the Indonesian domestic worker. Ambika’s daughter R. Jayavartiny, 32, has meanwhile been charged with hiring Adelina, knowing that the latter had no valid pass.

Adelina was found sleeping on the porch with wounds on her body when she was rescued from the home of the accused. She died on Feb 11.



Source link

read more

Bullying case happened in Singapore, says Chong


BULI

MO,24/2/2018, PETALING JAYA: The widely-­shared video of a student being abused inside a classroom did not happen in Malaysia. The Education Ministry said the incident took place in Singapore on Feb 9. Deputy Education Minister Datuk Chong Sin Woon said he takes bullying cases very seriously. “Whenever such clips surface, immediate action is taken to investigate the incident,” he said.   Describing it as a “severe case of bullying”, Deputy Education Mini­ster Datuk P. Kamalanathan urged netizens not to spread the video.

“This happened at Westwood Secondary School in Singapore. “Please don’t spread this video and claim that it happened in Malaysia. “Before forwarding anything, it would be wise to authenticate its veracity to avoid confusion and misinformation,” he said. A group of students from West­wood Secondary School was filmed punching, kicking and throwing chairs at a classmate in a video that has since gone viral, Singapore’s The Straits Times reported on Feb 18. In a video posted on Facebook page Fabrications About Singapore on Feb 15, a student can be heard egging his friends on to “teach” one of their classmates a lesson.

Two students were filmed throwing chairs at a boy who was seated at his table in a classroom and using his mobile phone. The boy reacts in shock when the chair hits his head. A student then slaps the boy before throwing a series of punches and continues kicking him.

–TheStar



Source link

read more

Malaysia and UAE seek to resolve Richard Lau’s case


richardla

MO,15/2/2018, PETALING JAYA: Malaysia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will work together to resolve the case involving Malaysian citizen Richard Lau, who has been detained in Dubai since April last year. Foreign Minister Datuk Seri Anifah Aman had in a meeting with Ras Al Khaimah Emir Sheikh Saud Saqr Al Qasimi on Wednesday (Feb 14), conveyed the Malaysian Government’s appreciation over assistance in the case.

“The Minister had also conveyed greetings from the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and the Prime Minister.   “The meeting lasted nearly an hour and among the matters discussed were development of bilateral relations, current issues in the Asian region and internationally, which were relevant to both nations,” said Wisma Putra in a statement Wednesday.

A civil engineer, Lau was arrested on April 28 last year on suspicion of embezzling money meant for wages.   It was previously reported that Lau, 41, had been sent to Ras Al Khaimah in the UAE five years ago by a Malaysian maritime transport company based in Miri, as a project coordinator at its subsidiary there.   Lau was said to be detained following complaints made by a partner of the subsidiary, a UAE national who claimed Lau had embezzled salaries from the company.

Anifah had previously met with Ras Al Khaimah authorities to appeal for consideration that Lau be released on bail while waiting for his case to be brought up in court.   He had also urged the authorities to consider resolving the case as soon as possible, to which the authorities had said they were ready to do so based on provisions under local laws.

Anifah had also visited Lau in prison to see his condition and inform him of the UAE Government’s decision to consider bail and the speedy resolution of his case. “Lau, who is in healthy condition, has thanked the Minister and the Malaysian Government.   “The Minister has also impressed upon the need for Lau to abide by the local laws until the case is fully resolved,” said the statement.   Anifah had also reminded Malaysians abroad to always stay in touch with the Malaysian missions and to abide by the laws of the countries they were in.

–TheStar



Source link

read more

Perlis DID graft case: 10 more accounts frozen


MACC

MO,13/2/2018, BALING: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has frozen another 10 bank accounts linked to an alleged graft and power abuse case involving a Perlis Drainage and Irrigation Department director. Kedah MACC director Datuk Mohd Fauzi Ahmad said the 10 banks accounts worth RM7.7 million has brought the total of accounts frozen in connection with the case to 27, valued at RM11.7 million.

“The bank accounts belonged to the director and two businessmen who were earlier arrested for allegedly abetting him,” he said after launching Gerakan Memerangani Rasuah 2018 (Gempur 2018) here today. On the same note, Fauzi said the state MACC has recorded statements from 25 individuals to help the agency to probe further into the case. He said the agency was still gathering evidence and would hand over the investigation paper to its prosecution team soon.

The director was released on MACC bail on Sunday while the who businessmen, aged 39 and 50, were released on bail on Feb 5. It was reported that the director was arrested along with the two businessmen – one of whom is believed to be his son – on Jan 29 by Kedah MACC following a tip-off on discrepancies in the awarding of projects by the state DID. MACC sources revealed that the man had been pocketing 10 per cent of each project’s cost between 2014 and last year.

The two businessmen, meanwhile, are being probed for allegedly abetting the director in committing the offences. The MACC has frozen 17 bank accounts belonging to the director, his children and the two businessmen, amounting to a total of RM4 million. Also seized were RM900,000 in cash at one of the businessmen’s houses, and an RM18,000 motorcycle belonging to the director.

The MACC is probing the case under Section 17(a) and Section 23 of the MACC Act 2009; and Section 4(1) of the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act 2001.

–NSTP



Source link

read more

Death of Indonesian maid: Penang police to complete case soon


POLIS PP

MO,13/2/2018, BUKIT MERTAJAM: Police believe they will wrapped up the investigations into the death of an Indonesian maid – allegedly from repated abuse by her local employers – soon. This follows the arrest of a 60-year-old woman and her children, aged 36 and 39 recently. State police chief Datuk A Thaiveegan said police were in the midst of completing the investigation paper in relation to the case.

“Further investigation is ongoing and we have recorded statements from several people, including witnesses, neighbours and the doctor who attended to the maid, Adelina Lisao, 26. “We are still looking for several more witnesses to complete our investigation. For now, there will not be any additional arrest,” he said when met after launching the Ops Selamat 12 in conjunction with the Chinese New Year celebration at the Juru toll plaza here today.

Thaiveegan said police were also waiting for the full post-mortem report to ascertain how long the abuse could have taken place. It was reported that Adelina was rescued by police on Saturday following suspected repeated abuse by her employers. She died at 4.45pm on Sunday while being treated at the Bukit Mertajam Hospital.

When found at her employer’s home at Taman Kota Permai, she had severe injuries on her head and face, and infected wounds on her hands and legs. Her plight came to light after a police report was lodged by an aide to the Bukit Mertajam member of parliament. The case, which was initially investigated under Section 324 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing hurt, will not be investigated under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder.

–NSTP



Source link

read more

Apple iPhone X Dengan Silicone Case Percuma Ditawarkan Pada Harga RM4599 – Amanz


Lazada hari ini hadir dengan sebuah lagi promosi khusus untuk iPhone X, membolehkan para pengguna tempatan mendapatkan iPhone X dengan storna 64GB pada harga RM4599. Menariknya, pembelian ini akan turut disertakan bersama iPhone X Silicone Case yang berharga RM189 secara percuma.

Apple iPhone X

Ini bukan kali pertama Lazada membuat penawaran diskaun untuk iPhone X ini. Sebelum ini, mereka telah hadir dengan beberapa penawaran menarik untuk telefon pintar terbaru daripada Apple ini.

iPhone X membawakan tanda harga jualan rasmi RM5149, dan dengan diskaun mencapai RM550 ini, ia semestinya salah satu penawaran yang berbaloi bagi anda yang mencari iPhone X. Lazada menawarkan promosi ini untuk waktu terhad selama 6 jam akan datang sahaja bersempena dengan Tahun Baru Cina.

Beli : Apple iPhone X 64GB



Source link

read more

Cops to call for inquest, further statements being recorded in Vasanthapiriya suicide case.


NEWS

MO,9/2/2018, GEORGE TOWN: An inquest is expected to be held into 14-year-old M. Vasanthapiriya’s death. She died about a week following a suicide attempt after she was accused of stealing her teacher’s iPhone last month. State Criminal Investigation Department chief Datuk Zainol Samah said police have opened up a sudden death report (SDR) in order to proceed with the inquest process.

He said this would enable the coroner to look into all the 24 statements taken by the police so far. “We are going through all the necessary procedures. After this, the coroner will guide us through the next course of action,” he said. Zainol said police were still investigating the case from all angles and would need to record more statements from witnesses after the investigation paper submitted to the Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP)’s office was returned with a request for more information.

It was reported that the Form Two student from SMK Methodist Nibong Tebal had apparently been summoned by three teachers on Jan 24 and was quizzed over the disappearance of one of the teachers’ iPhone at the school. Despite her repeated denials, one of the teachers reportedly struck the student for failing to own up to the theft. The teacher and her husband – who is a teacher from another school – allegedly threatened to lodge a police report on the matter. The girl, however, maintained her innocence.

Both the teachers sent her home after school time and told her father, R. Muniandy, about the case. Even then, Vasanthapiriya was adamant that she did not do it. Overcome with emotion, the girl later tried to hang herself at home the same night. She was found unconscious but alive by Muniandy, who rushed her to hospital. She died without ever regaining consciousness on Jan 1 at the Seberang Jaya Hospital. Currently, police are in the midst of recording further statements, including from media practitioners in order to complete the investigation paper before handing it back to the DPP’s office.

Some of the media practitioners, who covered Vasanthapiriya’s death, were summoned yesterday to have their statements recorded in relation to Malaysian Tamilar Kural (MTK) president David Marshel’s statement. It is believed that David could have made false claims about the incident. “Hence, we want to record the statements of those who interviewed him, to know whether he actually made such statements. “This will help facilitate our investigations,” a source close to the investigation said.

–NSTP



Source link

read more

Traces of fuel elements detected in RTD vehicle fire case


RTD BURNING

MO,9/2/2018, IPOH: Six samples taken from five scorched vehicles at the Road Transport Department (RTD) station in Kuala Kangsar has found traces of fuel element’s. The incident which took place at 2.30 am, saw three RTD vehicles, two of which were 4WD destroyed 90 per cent while two civilian Volvo’s parked at the department’s designated zone damaged 70 per cent in the incident.

Perak’s Fire and Rescue Department deputy director, Assistant Commissioner of Fire (JBPM), Sayani Saidon said the Perak JBPM Forensics Unit with the assistance of the Dog Unit (K9) from Klang, Selangor managed to retrieve six samples from crime scene. He said the samples were sent to the Fire Investigation Laboratory in Kuala Lumpur and the results received today revealed traces of fuel. “However, we (JBPM) is still considering other factors that could caused the fire.

“The results would be sent to the police for further investigation,” he told New Straits Times Press today. Meanwhile, Perak Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Chief, Senior Assistant Commissioner Yahya Abd Rahman said police are still waiting for more information from RTD on the clone vehicle syndicate which is believed to behind the torching of the five vehicles. “They (RTD) have to provide more evidence on all the issues so that Police can focus on the case, including to rule out any person of interest.

“As of now, there had been no arrest and the CID is currently exploring the case on various aspects, he said when contacted today. At a press conference, yesterday, RTD Deputy Director-General (Operations), Datuk Wan Ahmad Uzir Wan Sulaiman did not rule out the possibility of being targeted by a clone vehicle syndicate.

–NSTP



Source link

read more

Samsung chairman named as suspect in 7.5 million tax evasion case



SEOUL: Barely days after his son’s jail release this week, the Samsung Chairman finds himself facing fresh allegations of white-collar crime.

South Korean police on Thursday (February 8) named Lee Kun-hee, seen here in 2012, as a suspect in a 7.5 million dollar tax evasion case involving the use employee bank accounts.

But the elder Lee is in the hospital and could not be questioned due to his physical condition.

The chairman has been there since 2014 after suffering a heart attack, after which his son was regarded as the de facto head of the group.

Police said the bank accounts, holding over 350 million dollars, were found during a look into whether the elder Lee had misappropriated company funds to renovate the Lee family home.

These aren’t his first criminal allegations, either.

In 2009, the elder Lee was convicted on a separate charge of tax evasion, and later pardoned by former President Lee Myung-bak.

Current leader Moon Jae-in has vowed to put the the country’s family-run conglomerates under stronger scrutiny.

He’s also promised to end presidential pardons of corporate leaders.

World No. 1 chipmaker Samsung Electronics has so far weathered the storm of scandals.

The company earned record profits while the younger Lee spent a year in jail.



Source link

read more

Police give two men 24 hours to have statements recorded over Farid Kamil case


maz_

MO,8/2/2018, SHAH ALAM: Police have given two individuals 24 hours to meet the police and present their statement over claims by actor Datuk Farid Kamil that his drink was spiked. The two individuals are known as Firdaus, an R&B singer who was prominent in the 1990s, and actor Ahmad Tajudin, both in their 40s. Selangor police chief Datuk Mazlan Mansor said the police had already contacted them but the men have failed to come forward to have their statement recorded.

“We have already contacted them. One of them is in Johor while the whereabouts of the other remains unknown. “If no cooperation is given to help the investigation, police will take action by revealing their photos,” he told a press conference at the Kuala Lumpur police contingent headquarters (IPK). Meanwhile, local actor Sofi Jikan, known for his role in the hit movie ‘KL Gangster’, has been remanded after testing positive for cannabis soon after giving his statement to the police.

Sofi, 48, was arrested at the Mutiara Damansara police station at 11pm yesterday. The actor was one of the three individuals who was asked to meet the police over a report lodged by Farid. Sofi was issued a remand order until Friday by senior deputy registrar Hairol Azhar Mohd Ishak at the Petaling Jaya magistrate’s court. Farid Kamil was arrested for allegedly attacking a policeman and a civilian at the Kota Damansara station on Jan 11.

Five days later, he was charged at the Petaling Jaya magistrate’s court with two counts of voluntarily causing hurt, and one count each for disorderly conduct and obstructing a public servant from carrying out his duty. The court granted him RM12,000 bail with one surety for all the charges. On Jan 25, he was again charged at the magistrate’s court with consuming cannabis, and was allowed bail at RM4,000.

He later claimed that three fellow artistes had spiked his drink, and this resulted in his outburst at a police station last month. He claimed that he was also given a cigarette laced with an unknown type of oil.

–NSTP



Source link

read more
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons