Immigration Dept never issued circular to stop stateless children from attending school: Mustafar


MUSTAFAR ALI / SIDANG MEDIA JIM

MO,12/1/2018, PUTRAJAYA: The Immigration Department has denied issuing a circular preventing stateless children from being enrolled in schools. Its director-general Datuk Seri Mustafar Ali clarified that the document, which was mistakenly regarded as a circular, was actually a letter responding to questions from the Education Ministry.

“It was not a circular. Only a letter which the department sent to the ministry to answer some questions. “On Nov 28, last year, the ministry’s Daily School Management Division has sent a letter to us to clarify issues related to status of children. “In the letter, the ministry wanted to know the categories or schedule of children who were born in and outside Malaysia after the Malaysia Day, whether they require a passport or valid travel document to enrol in government schools.

“We later replied on Dec 28, explaining that foreigners born here or abroad are required to have passports; Malaysian children don’t need to have passports while children without citizenship but have applied for it are required to have passports,” he told reporters today. Mustafar stressed that the Immigration Department has nothing to do with matters involving the enrolment of students.

“That is under the Education Ministry’s jurisdiction. Whether the child is stateless or not, only the ministry can solve their enrolment issue,” he said. “In short, stateless children can still attend school as long as they have all the documents needed by the ministry,” he said. According to the Education Ministry’s circular, stateless children are allowed to enrol in any government schools with the conditions that one of the parents is Malaysian, and have obtained a confirmation or acknowledgement letter that the child is under the care of Malaysians.

Mustafar was responding to a report on Jan 9 about a seven-year old girl in Seremban, who was stopped from attending school after clearing registration with the Education Ministry. An English daily reported that the girl’s adoptive parents were believed to have been told by the Immigration Department that she required a passport in order to be enrolled at the school.

–NSTP



Source link

read more

Stop this nonsense please – Dr Amalina Bakri enggan dilabel Kim Kardashian Malaysia



EKORAN gaya pemakaian dan penampilan yang hampir sama dengan selebriti antarabangsa Kim Kardashian, pelajar pintar Malaysia, Dr. Amalina Che Bakri sering dilabelkan dengan gelaran Kim Kardashian Malaysia.

Suka atau tidak, Amalina menerusi Twitternya menegaskan dia tidak mahu disamakan dengan sesiapa termasuk Kim Kardashian.

“Hentikan perkara merepek ini!” tegasnya di Twitter.
 

BACA: ‘Rugi belajar jauh-jauh? Saya selamatkan pesakit, apa yang anda buat?’ – Amalina Bakri

GALERI FOTO: Hari konvokesyen Nur Amalina Che Bakri

Hal itu dibangkitkan Amalina apabila sebuah portal tempatan menyamakannya dengan Kim Kardashian baru-baru ini.

Isu itu menarik perhatian penyanyi Yuna yang menyokong tindakan Amalina.

Malah, netizen juga menyokong pendirian Amalina untuk tidak disamakan dengan mana-mana selebriti.

“Anda jauh lebih baik daripada Kardashians,” tulis @hnsyrhx.

“Ini cuma metafora, itu maknanya anda sangat menawan,” puji @aqeef1780.

Amalina melakar rekod apabila menjadi pelajar Malaysia pertama memperoleh keputusan cemerlang 17A1 dalam SPM tahun 2004.

Kini Amalina sedang bertugas sebagai pelatih jurubedah di The Royal College of Surgeons of England selepas menamatkan pengajian di University of Cambridge.

Teks oleh: Amri Hassan
Sumber: Twitter, IG @dramalinabakri



Source link

read more

Zimbabwe military says seizes power to stop criminals President Mugabe safe



HARARE: Zimbabwe’s military said it had seized power in a targeted assault on “criminals” around President Robert Mugabe who were causing social and economic suffering, but gave assurances the 93-year-old leader and his family were “safe and sound”.

Zimbabwean soldiers and armoured vehicles blocked roads to the main government offices, parliament and the courts in central Harare, a Reuters witness said on Wednesday.

While nearby, Zimbabweans queued for cash outside banks as public taxis ferried commuters to work.

“We are only targeting criminals around him (Mugabe) who are committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country in order to bring them to justice,” Zimbabwe Major General SB Moyo, Chief of Staff Logistics, said on national television on Wednesday.

“As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy.”

The military detained Finance Minister Ignatius Chombo on Wednesday, a government source said. Chombo was a leading member of the so-called ‘G40’ faction of the ruling ZANU-PF party, led by Mugabe’s wife Grace, that had been vying to succeed Mugabe.

Soldiers deployed across the Zimbabwe capital Harare on Tuesday and seized the state broadcaster after Mugabe’s ruling ZANU-PF party accused the head of the military of treason, prompting frenzied speculation of a coup.

Just 24 hours after military chief General Constantino Chiwenga threatened to intervene to end a purge of his allies in Mugabe’s ZANU-PF, a Reuters reporter saw armoured personnel carriers on main roads around the capital.

Aggressive soldiers told passing cars to keep moving through the darkness. “Don’t try anything funny. Just go,” one barked at Reuters on Harare Drive.

Two hours later, soldiers overran the headquarters of the ZBC, Zimbabwe’s state broadcaster and a principal Mugabe mouthpiece, and ordered staff to leave. Several ZBC workers were manhandled, two members of staff and a human rights activist said.

Shortly afterwards, three explosions rocked the centre of the southern African nation’s capital, Reuters witnesses said.

Mugabe, the self-styled ‘Grand Old Man’ of African politics, has led Zimbabwe for the last 37 years.

In contrast to his elevated status on the continent, Mugabe is reviled in the West as a despot whose disastrous handling of the economy and willingness to resort to violence to maintain power destroyed one of Africa’s most promising states.

The United States and Britain advised their citizens in Harare to stay indoors because of “political uncertainty.”

“U.S. citizens in Zimbabwe are encouraged to shelter in place until further notice,” the U.S. statement said. The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office statement told “nationals currently in Harare to remain safely at home or in their accommodation until the situation becomes clearer.”

The Southern African nation has been on edge since Monday when Chiwenga, Commander of the Zimbabwe Defence Forces, said he was prepared to “step in” to end a purge of supporters of sacked vice president Emmerson Mnangagwa.

Only a few months ago, Mnangagwa, a former security chief nicknamed “The Crocodile”, was favourite to succeed his life-long political patron but was ousted a week ago to pave the way for Mugabe’s 52-year-old wife Grace to succeed him.

‘POLITICS OVER THE GUN’

Chiwenga’s unprecedented statement represented a major escalation of the struggle to succeed Mugabe, the only leader Zimbabwe has known since it gained independence from Britain in 1980.

Mugabe chaired a weekly cabinet meeting in the capital on Tuesday, officials said, and afterwards ZANU-PF said it stood by the “primacy of politics over the gun” and accused Chiwenga of “treasonable conduct … meant to incite insurrection.”

The previous day, Chiwenga had made clear the army’s refusal to accept the removal of Mnangagwa – like the generals a veteran of Zimbabwe’s anti-colonial liberation war – and the presumed accession of Grace, once a secretary in the government typing pool.

Local government minister Saviour Kasukuwere, a leading figure in her relatively youthful ‘G40’ faction, refused to answer Reuters questions about the situation in Harare. “I’m in a meeting,” he said, before hanging up shortly before midnight.

Army, police and government spokesmen refused to answer numerous phone calls asking for comment.

‘DEFENDING OUR REVOLUTION’

Neither Mugabe nor Grace have responded in public to Chiwenga’s remarks and state media did not publish his statement. The Herald newspaper posted some of the comments on its Twitter page but deleted them.

The head of ZANU-PF’s youth wing, which openly backs Grace, accused the army chief of subverting the constitution.

“Defending the revolution and our leader and president is an ideal we live for and if need be it is a principle we are prepared to die for,” Youth League leader Kudzai Chipanga said at the party’s headquarters in Harare.

Grace Mugabe’s rise has brought her into conflict with the independence-era war veterans, who enjoyed privileged status in Zimbabwe until the last two years when they spearheaded criticism of Mugabe’s handling of the economy.

In the last year, a chronic absence of dollars has led to long queues outside banks and an economic and financial collapse that many fear will rival the meltdown of 2007-2008, when inflation topped out at 500 billion percent.

Imported goods are running out and economists say that, by some measures, inflation is now at 50 percent a month.

According to a trove of intelligence documents reviewed by Reuters this year, Mnangagwa has been planning to revitalise the economy by bringing back thousands of white farmers kicked off their land nearly two decades ago and patching up relations with the likes of the World Bank and IMF.

Whatever the outcome, analysts said the military would want to present their move as something other than a full-blown coup to avoid criticism from an Africa keen to leave behind the Cold War continental stereotype of generals being the final arbiters of political power.

“A military coup is the nuclear option,” said Alex Magaisa, a UK-based Zimbabwean academic. “A coup would be a very hard sell at home and in the international community. They will want to avoid that.”



Source link

read more
Show Buttons
Hide Buttons